1. Toluene – helps create a smooth finish across the nail and also keeps the pigment from separating from the liquid in the bottle. It is a common volatile solvent that is released into the air and can impact the central nervous system. It can also cause irritation of the eyes, throat and lungs and is a possible reproductive toxin.
2. Formaldehyde – which is used as a nail hardening agent, is also a volatile chemical that can evaporate into the air of a salon. Formaldehyde is known to cause cancer.
3. Dibutyl Phthalate – (DBP) is a plasticizing chemical, added to nail polishes to provide flexibility and a moisturizing sheen. DBP exposure can effect thyroid function and, in pregnant women, has been linked to reproductive problems in baby boys as well as to decreased sperm count in adult men.
If you have nail polish with any of these three ingredients, I would suggest throwing them away. Be mindful when you go to a nail salon to get your nails done about what is in what you are getting on your nails. Be healthy and safe..you will live LONGER. =)
P.S. To get rid of nail polish, you should keep it open and let it dry out, then throw it away. =)
For more detialed information, go to this website: